What is eSIM? Benefits, what devices are supported? Facts about eSIM in Vietnam
Currently, eSIM is no stranger to smartphone device users. However, the reality shows that not everyone knows all the advantages and benefits of this technology card. What is the eSIM line, can it be used in Vietnam, how to install it? Let's explore the details with Phone Price provider below!
1. What is eSIM?
According to Wikipedia, what is an eSIM? This is an abbreviated name from Universal Integrated Circuit Card (eUICC), in fact, this is still the form of a SIM card soldered directly on the motherboard of the device when manufactured and in particular, still ensures full functionality as ordinary type. Besides, it can be seen that the eSim does not contain a separate tray and cannot be removed from the phone. Because this is a SIM card, during installation or use, you can change carriers or packages according to your needs and preferences.
Regarding the size of the eSIM, this sim line has a length and width of less than 5mm with main functions including M2M (Machine to Machine) and Remote Provisioning. As a result, eSIM gives users a lot of good experiences when activating and managing on the phone. Besides, if compared with the size of the sims available on the market, the eSim is much smaller. For example, the current regular SIM with size 25 x 15 mm, Nano SIM smallest 12.3 x 8.8mm.
2. Should I use an eSIM or not? What are the advantages of eSIM over Nano SIM?
Of course, when technology experts produce eSIM, it is for users to use more conveniently without the need for a separate SIM line as before. Therefore, to be able to use the eSIM line, you need to check which homes on the market are supporting and which phones are compatible.
ESIM technology has many utilities, so over time, the switch to this technology by phones or tablets is and will become a new technology trend. According to many predictions, in the next few years, the phone segments from low-cost to high-end will all apply this eSIM technology.
Accordingly, the appearance of eSIM is to replace conventional SIMs such as Nano SIM with the following highlights:
eSIM stands out for its small size: Only about 5x5mm does not take up too much space on the device. Thanks to this, eSim can also set up not only phones but also smartwatches.
No SIM slot: Minimizes most of the space, thereby limiting the possibility of water or dirt getting inside, improving the durability of the product.
Simple and easy SIM switching: You can switch settings by scanning a QR code. Besides, you can also register to convert to eSIM online through the application of the network operator, saving a lot of time.
3. Can Vietnam use eSIM or not?
If you are wondering about using an eSim in Vietnam, the answer is definitely yes! ESIM can use for iOS, Android or smart watches, tablets. Top 3 eSIM carriers in Vietnam like Viettel, Vinaphone, Mobifone have all deployed eSIM nationwide.
However, it is important to note that some products manufactured for the international market, although announced to support eSIM, may still not be on the list of supported by Vietnamese carriers. Therefore, to know exactly whether the device in use can use this technology, users should actively contact the Customer Care Center for detailed advice.
4. Devices that support eSim in Vietnam
4.1 Android phones that support eSIM
Samsung phones that support eSIM: Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20+, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Note20, Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3, Samsung Galaxy S22, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Galaxy Z Fold4, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4.
Google Pixel phones that support eSIM: Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 3, Google Pixel 3 XL, Google Pixel 3a, Google Pixel 3a XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4 XL, Google Pixel 5, Google Pixel 6, Google Pixel 7 , Google Pixel 7 Pro…
4.2 iPhone phones that support eSIM
It is possible to mention a variety of Apple phone models such as:
- iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and iPhone Xr (2018);
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019)
- iPhone SE, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 mini (2020)
- iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max (In 2021)
- iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max (In 2022)
4.3 Smartwatch that supports eSIM
- Apple Watch: Apple Watch Series 7, Apple Watch Series 7 steel border, Apple Watch Series 6, Apple Watch SE, …
- Samsung Galaxy Watch: Galaxy Watch 3, Samsung Galaxy Watch 4, Galaxy Watch 5…
- Tablet/Tablet that supports eSIM
- iPad: iPad Pro from 2018 onwards, iPad Air 3, iPad Gen 7, iPad Mini 5…
- Microsoft tablet: Surface Pro LT…
View our eSIM Products and refer price at https://vietnamesim.vn/collections/all
5. How to activate eSIM (eSIM Registration) on iPhone, Samsung, and Google Pixel phones, etc
It is easy. Everything starts with an eSIM QR Code, a compatible device, and a Wifi Connection, and then 2 – 3 minutes of setup. Let’s figure out with us now.
After placing an order for an eSIM, you will receive a QR Code, SM-DP+ Address & Activation Code. The thing you need to do now is to set up it on your device and activate it for usage.
Don’t know how to start? We are here to help.
In this post, we will guide you through steps to set up and activate a data eSIM (including the eSIM for Vietnam provided by https://vietnamesim.vn) on your device, including:
5.1 How to set up and activate your eSIM
Need to know register eSIM in Vietnam
- Basically, an eSIM can be installed automatically by scanning the QR Code or manually. Although we guide you through both, the former is highly recommended.
- For a travel eSIM, you should install the eSIM on your device before departure and activate it upon landing at your destination.
- The setup will take you around 2 or 3 minutes only.
- If you are using a data eSIM for Vietnam, and you use a 5G smartphone, please disable 5G on the eSIM and switch to 4G / LTE.
- Turn off your Cellular Data Switch to avoid the roaming fee.
5.2 What to prepare before starting eSIM installation and activation?
To get started with the eSIM installation on your device, please make sure that the following items are ready:
- An eSIM compatible and carrier-unlocked device.
- A stable Wi-Fi connection (not mobile data of another phone), and
- An eSIM QR code for scanning
- Print your QR code, or borrow someone’s device to keep your eSIM QR code if you have no second device (another phone, desktop, laptop, etc.) to keep it).
- take note of your SM-DP + Address & Activation code somewhere on your device for easy manual setup by copying and pasting if you cannot print your QR code or have no second device to keep it, or just in case your scanning fails and you need to set up your eSIM manually.
5.3 How to activate eSIM (esim registration)
- Every data eSIM will go through 2 steps to be ready in your device and data usage.
- In this section, we will guide you through:
- How to activate eSIM on iPhone
- How to activate eSIM on Samsung phone, and
- How to activate eSIM on Google phone.
The wording may be slightly different depending on your device. So, in case you have difficulty installing your eSIM, please contact your eSIM provider.
5.3.1 How to activate eSIM on iPhone
What is eSIM on iPhone?
An eSIM is an industry-standard digital SIM that allows you to activate a cellular plan from your carrier without having to use a physical SIM. You can install eight or more eSIMs on an iPhone and use two phone numbers at the same time.
What you need
- An iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, or later
- A wireless carrier or worldwide service provider that supports eSIM
- Your new iPhone needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.*
- eSIM on iPhone is not offered in China mainland. In Hong Kong and Macao, some iPhone models feature eSIM. Learn about using Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards in China mainland, Hong Kong, and Macao. For travelers visiting China mainland who wish to use an eSIM for prepaid data plans, these are offered by many worldwide service providers.
- iPhone 14 models that are eSIM only can activate without a Wi-Fi network.
How to set up an eSIM on iPhone
Setting up your eSIM is usually just a matter of turning on your new iPhone and following the onscreen instructions.
You can activate your eSIM while you're setting up your iPhone if your carrier supports eSIM Carrier Activation or eSIM Quick Transfer. With eSIM Carrier Activation, your carrier assigns an eSIM to your iPhone when you purchase it. With eSIM Quick Transfer, you transfer the SIM from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without contacting your carrier. With either method, to activate your eSIM during setup, turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions.
You can also use these options later to add or transfer an eSIM. If these options aren't available, contact your carrier to activate your eSIM using a QR code or your carrier's iPhone app.
If you purchased an iPhone 14 model in the United States, your iPhone activates with an eSIM. To activate your eSIM using eSIM Carrier Activation, eSIM Quick Transfer, or another activation method, turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions.
Use eSIM Carrier Activation on iPhone
Some carriers and worldwide service providers can assign a new eSIM to your iPhone, making setup easy. This usually happens when you purchase a carrier-connected iPhone from Apple in the United States or from a carrier and you provide your cellular-plan details. If an eSIM was assigned to your iPhone when you bought it, turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions to activate your eSIM.
If you're switching to iPhone (from an Android phone, for example), contact your carrier to transfer your phone number to your iPhone through eSIM Carrier Activation or by scanning a QR code from your carrier.
If you contacted your carrier for an eSIM after you set up your iPhone, and they set up eSIM Carrier Activation, follow these steps:
When a notification appears that says Carrier Cellular Plan Ready to Be Installed, tap it.
In the Settings app, tap Carrier Cellular Plan Ready to Be Installed.
Tap Continue, at the bottom of the screen.
Make a call on your iPhone to check its cellular connectivity. If you can't make a call, contact your carrier.
If the plan you activated replaces the plan on your physical SIM, remove your physical SIM. Then restart your iPhone.
Use eSIM Quick Transfer on iPhone
Some carriers support SIM transfers from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without needing to contact them. You can also convert your current physical SIM card to an eSIM.
If you don't have access to your current iPhone, contact your carrier to transfer your eSIM.
While you're setting up your iPhone, if you're asked to transfer your SIM, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM or eSIM. If you need to transfer more than one SIM to your new iPhone, transfer your additional SIMs following the steps below.
Transfer a physical SIM or eSIM on your previous iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone after setup
On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan.
Choose a cellular plan to transfer from another device. If you don't see a list of numbers, tap Transfer From Another Device. This requires both devices to have iOS 16 or later.
Check for instructions on your previous iPhone to confirm the transfer. To confirm, tap Transfer or, if asked for a verification code, enter the code that's displayed on your new iPhone.
Wait for the cellular plan to activate on your new iPhone. Your previous SIM is deactivated when the cellular plan on your new iPhone activates.
If a banner appears on your new iPhone that says Finish Setting Up Your Carrier's Cellular Plan, tap it. You will be redirected to your carrier's webpage to transfer your eSIM. If you need help, contact your carrier.
Convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone
You can convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone, if your carrier supports it. Follow these steps:
On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular.
Tap Convert to eSIM.
If you don't see Convert to eSIM, your carrier doesn't support this option. Contact your carrier to move your phone number from your physical SIM to an eSIM using eSIM Carrier Activation or by scanning a QR code.
Tap Convert Cellular Plan.
Tap Convert to eSIM.
Wait for your eSIM to activate. Your previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone. Then restart your iPhone.
Scan a QR code or use a carrier app
If your carrier doesn’t support eSIM Carrier Activation or eSIM Quick Transfer, you can scan a QR code from your carrier instead.
To activate your eSIM while setting up your iPhone:
- When you get to the Set Up Cellular screen, tap Use QR Code.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
- To activate your eSIM after you set up your iPhone, contact your carrier to get a QR code. Then, follow these steps:
- Open the Camera app and scan your QR code.
- When the Cellular Plan Detected notification appears, tap it.
- Tap Continue, at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Add Cellular Plan.
If you're asked to enter a confirmation code to activate the eSIM, enter the number that your carrier provided.
5.3.2 How to activate eSIM on Samsung
Currently, the carrier-unlocked Samsung S20, S21, S22, Note 20, Fold and Z Flip are supporting eSIM technology. You can check if your Samsung phone supports eSIM here, and follow the steps below to use its data on your device.
How to activate eSIM on a Galaxy device
Your device includes an eSIM which functions as a SIM card. You can use the mobile network after activating the eSIM or installing a nano-SIM card. You can both activate the eSIM and install a nano-SIM card so you can have two phone numbers or service providers for a single device.
In some areas, data transfer speeds may be slower if two SIM cards are inserted in the device than when one SIM card is inserted.
Before you try out the below recommendations as to your solution, be sure to check if your device's software is updated with the latest version. Please check how to update your mobile device's software in the following order.
- Step 1. Go to Settings > Software update.
- Step 2. Tap on Download and install.
- Step 3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
How to add your mobile plan on your smartphone with eSIM
To add your mobile network plan on an eSIM, you can scan a QR code that your carrier provided or install a pre-assigned plan automatically. Before adding your plan, make sure your Galaxy smartphone is connected to a wi-fi or mobile data network.
Install a pre-assigned plan
To activate an eSIM, follow the below steps.
- Step 1. Launch Settings > Connections.
- Step 2. Tap SIM card manager.
- Step 3. Select Add mobile plan.
When a mobile plan is found, follow the on-screen instructions to activate the eSIM.
Scan a QR code
If you have a QR code provided by your service provider, follow the steps below.
- Step 1. Launch Settings > Connections.
- Step 2. Tap SIM card manager.
- Step 3. Select Add mobile plan.
- Step 4. Add using QR code, and then scan the QR code.
Note: eSIM requires a wireless service plan and allows you to activate a mobile network plan without the use of a nano-SIM. eSIM availability may vary depending on the software version, country, and carrier. Check with your carrier if your mobile network plan supports eSIM.
5.3.3 How to activate eSIM on Google Pixel
eSIM works well on Google Pixel 3, 4, 5, 6 series except for certain cases specified here.
After confirming that your Pixel phone supports eSIM, and got the QR code from the eSIM provider, you will follow the steps below to use it.
- Go to Settings > Tap Network & internet
- Tap Add (+ icon) next to “Mobile network” or “SIMs“
- 1 - How to activate eSIM on Google Pixel Phones
- Tap Download a SIM instead?
- Tap Next,
- Scan your eSIM QR code,
- Tap Download to add the eSIM profile to your phone,
- Turn off your eSIM
Note: In case you want to rename your eSIM plan, please select the SIM and choose the pen icon on the right top to edit its information.
eSIM activation and data use
Go to Settings > Tap Network & internet
Tab SIMs to see list of the SIMs available on your phone
Select your eSIM which will be used and turn it on
Turn your eSIM’s Mobile Data and Roaming on
Go to Messages, switch to Vietnam eSIM phone number (if you have a physical SIM phone number on your phone), and text to activate your eSIM plan (only applicable to eSIM provided by Vientam eSIM).
In case you cannot access to the internet, please set up your APN (access point name) by:
Going to Settings >> Network & internet >> SIMs
Turn on your eSIM if it is turned off, and scroll down, and tap Access Points Names
Tap Add, and select the APN field and enter the provided APN. Other fields can be left blank.